Sunday, October 8, 2017

The Apostle's Creed

This morning I woke up to several people having an argument about whether or not Christians should recite the apostle's creed. Several times I read people stating "I don't recite it because it's not Biblical." Well let me just say this, if you don't believe the tenants of the Apostle's Creed, then you can't rightly call yourself a Christian. For one woman, I finally had to go declaration by declaration and give her scriptures to show her that while the creed itself isn't in the Bible, the beliefs that it declares is scripture based. 
I like what Dr. Ray Rooney stated about the Creed "The Apostles’ Creed doesn’t solve all the world problems, nor does it solve all the problems in the church,” Rooney said. “But it is a great table for Christians to gather round and have room for discussion. You don’t have to believe everything I do. But we have in the Creed a 2,000-year-old answer to ‘What do Christians believe?’ We can rejoice and fellowship together around these truths while still holding tightly to the other convictions we also hold dear.”

If you have never read the Apostle's Creed, I will post it here: 

I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,

who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,

born of the Virgin Mary,
 
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;

On the third day he rose again;

he ascended into heaven,
he is seated at the right hand of the Father,

and he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,

the holy catholic* Church,

the communion of saints,

the forgiveness of sins,

the resurrection of the body,

and the life everlasting.
Amen.


*catholic here means universal


  • I Believe in God. Isaiah 44:6, “Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.”; Isaiah 45:5, “I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:”
  • I Believe In The Father Almighty Maker of Heaven and Earth. Genesis 1:1, “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.” ; John 1:3, “All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.” ; Acts 14:15, “And saying, Sirs, why do ye these things? We also are men of like passions with you, and preach unto you that ye should turn from these vanities unto the living God, which made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all things that are therein:”
  • I Believe in Jesus Christ. Luke 2:11, “For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.” ; John 20:28, “And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.”
  • I Believe that Jesus is His only Son. John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” ; Proverbs 30:4, “Who hath ascended up into heaven, or descended? who hath gathered the wind in his fists? who hath bound the waters in a garment? who hath established all the ends of the earth? what is his name, and what is his son’s name, if thou canst tell?”
  • I Believe Jesus is Our Lord. John 20:28, “And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.”
  • I Believe in Jesus Who was Conceived by the Holy Spirit. Luke 1:35, “And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.”
  • I Believe Jesus Who Was Born of the Virgin Mary. Luke 1:27, “To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary.”
  • I Believe Jesus Suffered Under Pontius Pilate. Luke 23:24, “And Pilate gave sentence that it should be as they required.”
  • I Believe Jesus Was Crucified. John 19:20, “This title then read many of the Jews: for the place where Jesus was crucified was nigh to the city: and it was written in Hebrew, and Greek, and Latin.” ; Acts 4:10, “Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.”
  • I Believe Jesus Was Dead. 1st Corinthians 15:3, “For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;”
  • I Believe Jesus Was Buried. 1st Corinthians 15:4, “And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:”
  • I Believe that Jesus on The third day He arose from the dead. 1st Corinthians 15:4, “And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:”
  • I Believe Jesus Ascended into Heaven. Mark 16:19, “So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.” ; Luke 24:51, “And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven.” ; Acts 1:11, “Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.”
  • I Believe Jesus Is Seated at the Right Hand of God, the Father Almighty. Mark 16:19, “So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.”; Hebrews 1:3, “Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;”
  • I Believe Jesus From Thence He Shall Come to Judge the Quick and the Dead. 2nd Timothy 4:1, “I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;” ; John 5:22, “For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:”
  • I Believe in The Holy Spirit., John 15:26, “But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:” ; John 16:7-8, “Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:” ; John 16:13, “Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.”
  • I Believe in The Church Universal. Galatians 3:28, “There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.”
  • I Believe in the Communion of Saints. Hebrews 10:25, “Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.” ; Acts 2:44, “And all that believed were together, and had all things in common.”
  • I Believe in The Forgiveness of Sins. Luke 7:48, “And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.”
  • I Believe in The Resurrection of the Body. 1st Thessalonians 4:16, “For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:” ; Romans 8:23, “And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the first-fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.” ; 1st Corinthians 15:52-54, “In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.”
  • I Believe in Life Everlasting. John 10:28, “And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.” ; John 17:2, “As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.”

1 comment:

  1. Seriously? A Christian has a problem with the Apostle's Creed? Let me introduce them to the Nicene Creed -maybe she will like that one. Next thing you know, they'll be objecting to the way others take communion or baptize. Wait a minute...I guess that started 5 centuries ago. God help us to get over our narrow doctrinal issues and deal with the approaching secularization of our culture (and our Church)

    ReplyDelete

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...