Sunday, September 15, 2024

Biscuit

Over the years, you have heard or read about Biscuit, my beloved little mixed breed dog...well Biscuit made her final journey on September 4, 2024. 

Buttermilk Biscuit Anders

Sept. 1, 2009 – Sept. 4, 2024

Buttermilk Biscuit departed this life on September 4, 2024. Known by her middle name, Biscuit came into the family like a whirlwind, and from that moment, nothing was ever the same.

Many might not know Biscuit's full story, so I'd like to share it with you today. Biscuit was a rescue from Alexander County, North Carolina. Her journey to us began after the loss of my beloved beagle, Hunter. When I saw Biscuit’s picture online, I knew in my heart that she was meant to be ours. During that week of contemplation, my parents advised, "Just pray about it." So pray I did. A few days later, with the adoption fee in hand, I asked my mom to "just go look."

When we arrived, we learned that Biscuit and her siblings had been abandoned, no older than six weeks. They allowed us to see her, and the moment Biscuit gazed into our eyes and nuzzled my mom's neck, I knew she was coming home with us. As we stepped outside, Mom said, "Let's go to the bank to get the adoption fee." I smiled and pulled the money out of my pocket, ready for the moment I knew would come. We walked back in and said, "Let's go home!"

Mom cradled Biscuit all the way back, and that night, when Dad came home, he picked the perfect name: Biscuit. We decided to add a touch of Southern charm by giving her a friend's CB handle, Buttermilk. And so, Buttermilk Biscuit became part of our family.

For 15 incredible years, Biscuit filled our lives with love, laughter, and more than a little mischief. She was never just a dog; to my parents, she was the "Baby," and to me, she was my "Little fur sister." After about 12 years of delightful shenanigans, Biscuit began to slow down. She developed liver and kidney disease and, six months ago, stopped hopping up the steps. Last night, she began to cry, unable to use her back legs. Today, four days after her 15th birthday, we made the ultimate act of love and mercy, letting Biscuit go. 

In reflecting on her life, I’m left wondering: Who really rescued whom on that day in October 2009? Biscuit may have been the one we brought home, but she’s the one who truly rescued us, filling our hearts with her unwavering love and joy.

Rest in peace, Biscuit. You’ll always be the "Baby" of the family, and the best little fur sister I could have ever asked for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Tearing of the Veil: What It Means for Us Today

Last week after RCIA, I had an interesting conversation with my priest about some traditional Catholics who were upset that our church didn’...