Saturday, January 27, 2018

Social Injustice: What are you marching for?

Last year after President Trump was elected, I wrote a blog about the women's march. In that blog I contemplated the issue of the separation of church and state; and came to the conclusion what people are really seeking is a separation of God and man. 

This past week, the women were at it again! They were again out in their pink crocheted "hats" and ranting about equality to men. The first protest was organized on January 21, 2017. The Women's March to advocate legislation and policies regarding human rights and other issues, including women's rights, immigration reform, healthcare reform, reproductive rights, the natural environment, LGBTQ rights, racial equality, freedom of religion,and workers' rights. Most of the rallies were aimed at Donald Trump, immediately following his inauguration as President of the United States, largely due to statements that he had made and positions that he had taken which were regarded by many as anti-women or otherwise offensive. It was the largest single-day protest in U.S. history.

So this year a friend of mine posted a video  and needless to say, because it's a FOX News anchor speaking up about these marches, some of my other friends got angry and decided we (anyone that is considered conservative) are all closed-minded. During the online discussion between some friends I stated "Actually I agree with this, these women (the marchers) don't represent me or anyone that I know who has self respect." I was dually attacked and told "Silence woman, 'Cause God!" by a man who told me I was a second class citizen, yet praised these women in their pink hatred hats. I also made sure that I explained myself "These marches don't embody new ideas or original thoughts. Trust me, if I get into Duke Divinity School it won't be easy, just like being confused about my faith and living a Jewish life at Liberty University wasn't easy. I went on to say that I work in home improvement, a male dominated job, and that I do have my rights to health, wealth, property, and reproductive rights--including that of murder (abortion) of an unborn child." 

Again I was attacked, told that I was stupid or ignorant. I asked again, "Tell me what are you marching for?" "What does this mean for you?" "Help me understand." What was said, by my friend Martha, was totally uncalled for, (just so you know I considered her a true friend, because she's seen me at my best and worst) "Scott, you are totally wasting your time and energy, Rachel's mind is and has been made up for years. The only one who is throwing a tantrum is Rachel. She will only see whatever logic supports her initial point of view." 

You see as a Christian, and especially within Methodism, we are supposed to speak out against social injustice. And as we speak out against it, we are also looking at how we treat others unjustly. Should we speak out against political policies that we don't agree with? Of course, but should we alienate our family and friends in the process?

So just taking the above issues mentioned, I will tell you are all listed under "Human Rights." We have racial equality--yes, sometimes life is unfair, but when I applied for my job, I competed equally between the racial make up of my company. I have freedom of religion, I am free to worship wherever I want, whenever I want, however I want. healthcare reform--this definitely needs to be reformed, back to pre-Obama standards; immigration reform, we definitely need to find a way to help those who come to this country legally and a way to help those who want to become citizens--however, if you've been here 30+ years and haven't become a citizen, well that's not right. We are only doing what they do in Europe. About 5 years ago a friend of mine went on an extended trip to France and the government asked him "Before you come here, can you support yourself?" Luckily my friend was a transcriptionist and could do his work from anywhere in the world and he was able to go to France for 3 months. Other countries don't put up with immigrants coming to their country and taking from their citizens--neither should we. Women's rights, They've already passed the 19th Amendment. We have the right to vote, to work outside the home and we have rights to health, wealth and property. Finally abortion, yes I am pro-life. I concede there are some instances where an abortion may be necessary; however, it MUST be regulated and not just be because you don't want responsibility from getting pregnant. 

None of these women that I asked why they were marching could give me an answer; it's sad really--because maybe we could have found some middle ground to discuss things--but when the left is too scared to speak to the right and vice versa we remain divided. 

But more than that, can you imagine the change that we could bring into this world if we'd stop "protesting" a President and stop worrying about things that aren't going to change, and actually started acting? Instead demanding that our voices be heard, that we actually step up and take action? How about if we stopped discussing human rights issues and actually started acting? What if we went out and actually spoke to the homeless and listened (with intent) to their stories? A couple of weeks ago, I was in Charlotte and I met a homeless man. I was nervous, but I was there taking a picture of myself with a quote that I had sent into the PLCMC. However, I took some time to listen to him; he loved to read and that is why when he's cold he goes into the library to warm up, and read a book. Maybe I couldn't give him money for a meal, but I gave him an ear to listen to him for a bit; in 5 minutes of talking to a complete stranger I learned that I had more in common with a homeless person than I do with some of my friends. 

Maybe that didn't change the world, maybe that moment passed and I didn't eradicate homelessness--but I gave something more--I let someone, a complete stranger know they mattered and gave them dignity. Instead of marching in hatred and anger, what if we could 1) Work out our own belief system where people were okay to be different and 2) work together in community to change our nation? Friends, we are destroying ourselves--we are nation that is divided diametrically and maybe it's time that we stopped trying to get for ourselves and start turning back towards God. Spend a little less time marching and shouting about injustice and ask God "What would you have me do?" Then do it! Maybe we need to have a little war on the floor--because protesting isn't getting us anywhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...