Sunday, January 7, 2018

The Bracelet

Recently, I was asked about the bracelet I wear when I preach and when I am working in the church. It's nothing spectacular, but it is something special. The bracelet is 5 leather strands held together by silver beads. It's very western looking yet smart enough that I can wear it as dressed-up casual. I didn't realize anyone was looking at what I was wearing or how I was dressed. I figured most just wanted to hear what I had to say. A lot of people don't know my history and they don't know my story...and I won't publish it here. Yes, I did make some stupid choices in life, but that is my past and God is a God of second chances and changes of heart. So when I was asked about it, I was caught off guard...somewhat.

I've decided to share the reason why I wear this particular bracelet when I preach...by the way, I also wear a certain perfume too--for many of the same reasons. 

A bracelet from a dear sister in faith...
The bracelet that I wear came from a dear sister in faith. When I started working at a local elementary school I met a woman who would become "the sister I never had" and "the kind of person I always thought my sister would be like had she lived."  This friend was a premiere designs jewelry consultant and I have several pieces that I love from Premiere Designs; but this one is particularly special. One day at work, my "sister" was admiring a necklace and earring set that I was wearing and I took it off and said "Here you go...it's yours." I knew she liked it and I wanted her to have it. It just didn't make sense for me to keep it, I didn't wear it often--I don't wear jewelry often anyway.

The next day I came to work and she had set a box on my desk that contained a necklace and earring set that she liked, but couldn't wear with her coloring--yes, gentlemen, women can wear only certain colors and look amazing in them. So she gave me the set and I loved them! 

One night I was at her house and I saw some earrings that she had that I just had to buy and this bracelet. I had to make a hard choice that night and purchased the earrings; not paying attention to my bag I put it in my purse and left. When I got home, the bracelet was in the bag also. I immediately called my friend and said "Hey, I accidentally picked up the bracelet too. I'll bring the money on Monday to you." With a bit of laughter in her voice she said "No, I put it in your bag, I want to give it to you." I started to question why and she said "Rachel, you are loved. I love you, and God loves you." 

Miss Margaret's Night Blooming Jasmine
A few months later, I would get a phone call that her husband's grandmother had passed away and they needed to get to Nashville to take care of things. She asked if I could come over and watch the dogs for her and of course, I said yes. When they arrived back home, she came to work the next day and said "I know you like this scent...and Margaret would want you to enjoy it. 

Later this same friend would come to my house and see that the bottle wasn't nearly used up, and she questioned whether I liked it or not. I said "I love it, but I know how special Mr. R's grandmother was to him, so I only want to wear this on special occasions."

Later this friend would walk away from our friendship and I didn't understand why and even now I don't understand; but for me, when I preach I wear this because even though my friend will never hear me preach (that I know of); wearing this bracelet or scent reminds me that at one time she was proud of me, and loved me--and most of all, God loves me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...