Thursday, January 30, 2020

Biting Will Lead to Destruction


A simple word, a little white lie, an entire conspiracy theory--are at best things that Christians need to be wary of. Just like a bomb, one misspoken word, one lie, one conspiracy theory will cause a ripple and do more harm than previously believed.
Today while in a chatroom, the topic of Donald Trump came up. I was asked if I would vote for him, and my answer was "Probably not. Can you tell me other than Israel and Sanctity of Life why I should?" Simple as that. I never said 100% no. I merely said "Give me a reason other than the two soap boxes on which Christians seem to hinge their voting and I'd consider it.
A lady who hides behind the name Kayness, said "I have to tell Liberal Christians like Randers..." So I asked "Please do not compare liberal Christians to me." So in true fashion she mocked me and I said "It's a wonder you win souls to Christ acting like a butt. This is why so many people run from Christ." Next thing you know, someone who hides behind the nickname Hansel_and_Gretel, OldJoex, Chatnoah all began telling me "You are demon possessed!" "We're going to pray for you!" And calling for the admin to kick me from the room because "I am a child of perdition."
I finished my workout and walked to the locker room, my heart aching for these people. While in the shower, God spoke to me. Galatians 5:15 came to my heart. “But if you keep on biting and devouring one another, watch out or you will be consumed by one another.” Instantly, I decided to come to my office and study the verse; and I found in verse 14 that Paul taught (as Christ did) “The entire law is fulfilled in a single decree “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Why do we find that so hard to do?
Needless to say I was a bit dumbfounded when I read Martin Luther’s Commentary on verse 15; but I couldn’t help but agree with him. Martin Luther states: “When faith in Christ is overthrown peace and unity come to an end in the church. Diverse opinions and dissensions about doctrine and life spring up, and one member bites and devours the other, i.e., they condemn each other until they are consumed. To this the Scriptures and the experience of all times bear witness. The many sects at present have come into being because one sect condemns the other. When the unity of the spirit has been lost there can be no agreement in doctrine or life.”
As I continued my study, I read in the Jameson-Fausset-Brown Bible commentary that to bite meant to backbite or attack the character of another. The Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges stated that the attacks would consist of abuses and slanderous accusations. Barnes’ Notes on the Bible stated that the Greek for Bite was “Dakno” and it was used also to describe how wild beasts attack each other. We know from our own study of animals that often times they will fight until both are dead--so it is within the church--we’ll continue to fight each other until we destroy the spirituality and happiness of one another; thus ruining the character of and overthrowing the church.
Can we as a Christians, whether Catholic, or Protestant really afford to continue to fight one another? Can we afford to continue using conspiracy theories to prove points that are not even valid or truthful? Brothers and Sisters, the church is in trouble, but it’s not just our leaders; we need to look at ourselves and how we are throwing out messages of falsehoods that can’t be proven.
You want to fulfill the law? Then instead of breaking the law—which you do through attacks and trying to harm your fellow believers—try loving them.
**I did apologize to the above mentioned Kayness.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...