Monday, December 11, 2017

Christmas Parade...not a place for Politics!

Christmas parades are not political events! Christmas Parades are family events that should have nothing to do with politics. Yesterday, I was at the Statesville Christmas Parade, I saw a total in the parade 4 of our county leaders in their official capacities. Yet in true form for the democrats in Iredell County, the parade was suddenly polarized into "them against us." At first I saw some people holding signs, and really wasn't interested so I looked down to check on Lizzie the Corgi, and suddenly I heard "Hey Rachel!" It was my friend Martha. I waved and then saw on the back of the float, "Thank Democrats for..." I started reading the signs and realized they wanted me to "Thank them for Bi-partisan successes."
Iredell Democrats...bringing politics to the Christmas Parade
I am not usually one to care about politics and political stances; however, Christmas is the one time we don't need to polarize the world; we don't need to split it up into them against us. I am really disappointed that our Parade organizers thought in a world of political unrest, it was a "Great idea" to let them throw political issues into the parade instead of letting it be a day about family fun, and togetherness as a community.

Now before everyone gets their knickers in a knot, I am NOT saying this because I am a conservative, Trump-supporting, gun-toting, liberal hatin' redneck. Because 1) I don't support Trump, 2) I don't hate liberals and 3) I ain't a redneck.

I am stating this simply because I feel like a Christmas parade should be about being with family. It's about coming together as a community to celebrate the successes of the North Iredell Lady Raider's Volleyball team, watching the Chillbillies do a NASCAR maintenance run on a tractor with a trophy deer head on the front, listening to high school marching bands play their hearts out, freezing,  it's hearing the National Anthem played on bagpipes; it's seeing your Sunday School kids play in band and embarrassing them by yelling their names at the top of your lungs and finally it's the arrival of Santa Claus on the back of a BIG OLE RED STATESVILLE FIRETRUCK!

So yes, I am very disappointed that the Iredell Democrats couldn't share in that happiness--instead they decided to polarize me and hundreds of others--though they may not say it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...