Saturday, February 24, 2018

Wesley's Historic Questions...my modern answers

John Wesley, founder of Methodism
John Wesley came up with a series of questions to ask those who are seeking to be ministers of the gospel in the Methodist Tradition. Some sources say 1743, other say 1773...I don't know which is correct, but these questions have been asked of ordained pastors in the United Methodist Church for over 200 years; and as I began the discernment process they were and still are being asked of me. Tonight, I'd like to answer them for you here.

1) Do they know God as pardoning God? Have they the love of God abiding in them? Do they desire nothing but God? Are they holy in all manner of conversation?"

Like many before me, I think this question is best answered by those who know me. I do believe that I have the love of God in me. The reason that I believe this is that God is living within my heart and God is love. I definitely know God as a pardoning God. With all the bad choices I have made, God has forgiven; not only in forgiving me, but also in giving me the ability to forgive others. I believe that people would tell you that my manner of speaking is godly and not foul; and that my lifestyle is also becoming of a Christian.

2) Have they gifts as well as evidence of God's grace for the work? Have they a clear, sound understanding, a right judgement in things of God; a just conception of salvation by faith? Do they speak justly, readily and clearly?
3 Simple Rules that everyone should live by.

I know that I have God's grace and that it is renewed everyday. It is in the moments that allow for learning, teaching, and experiencing life to the fullest that I know that God's grace is with me. I think my gifts are evident, especially when it comes to leadership (administrations), public speaking, study, research, but I also think I have the gift of tenacity. When it comes to the discernment of the things of God, I ask myself "Is it Love? or Is it harmful?"  If it causes harm, then it can't be love and God is love. I also look to the scriptures to see if it lines up with the scriptures. If it doesn't then it can't be just or faithful to God. We are all born into grace and we choose daily to take a journey with Christ and eventually through Christ to salvation. I do also speak justly, readily and clearly. I always try to have be ready in and out of season with a word from God's holy word as it pertains to life.

3) Have they fruit? Have any been truly convinced of sin, and converted to God, and are believers edified by their service?

Fruit, I believe, is the evidence of God and His Holy Spirit working in our lives. I also see fruit as the works which we do, that bring a bit of heaven to earth. Sin, as I understand it, is missing the mark or even living outside of God's will for our lives. It is through grace that we can love the unlovable, give hope to the hopeless, food to the hungry, shelter to the homeless and this same grace that we offer others is often offered to us in ways that we can use to bring other's to Christ and to continue on our own journey to Christian perfection. I know of only one person that I can say has truly ever been convinced of sin and converted to God. I hope that through the work I have done and will continue to do in Christ Jesus for others will convince them to start their own journeys to Christ and become more Christ-like. 


www.paypal.me/RachelAnders

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...