Friday, April 27, 2018

What do you value?

Batter up!
I don't usually write about people I know or rather people who are currently a part of my life and very rarely do I promote other's blogs. This isn't because I am selfish or want readership all to myself, I just rarely think about sharing others blog links. However, tonight I want to change that; I want to tell you all about one of the bravest, amazing young women I know. My friend, and Sunday school student Carly, has been going through a lot this year--it's her senior year of high school--and that brings a ton of pressure with it. So when Carly asked me to come to Senior night at North Iredell High School, I knew I had to be there. Not because I didn't "have a senior night" but because I wanted to watch Carly play a home game, and I see a lot of myself in what she's going through. Since I wasn't able to get off work early to make it to the game--I hauled backside to make it to the middle of the game. I know for a fact, that I pulled in to North Iredell's parking lot during the last inning; then I heard it--the familiar crack of the bat, then the sound of a ball bouncing off my car. Now I didn't get mad, but I will tell you I caught the ball as it rolled off my car and threw it back to the pitcher's mound--yet those details aren't important.

When I realized that the game was over (I saw the girls walking back to the parking lot) I drove home. I got a message from Carly, and she told me they had lost, but that it was okay I wasn't there because I was cheering on my Lady Raiders from a distance. Yet that didn't help, I still felt like I let Carly down. I told her about my car getting hit and I got a text back "Oh my gosh, I am so sorry." Since I see a lot of myself in Carly, I had a feeling that she may have the impression that "if she hadn't of asked me to come, then my car wouldn't have been hit and dented." So I made 100% sure that our Carly knew that that wasn't the case--first I told her "I showed them "old softball players still have it" and "Just so you know, my car getting damaged wasn't your fault--I was at NIHS tonight because I wanted to be." And if I know my friend, this made a lot of difference in how she felt and probably was thinking about things.

I really tell this to say one thing--we go through life putting value on things that don't matter. Yes, I was miffed my car got hit; but my car is of infinite less value than making a difference in someone's life. What I have now is a memory that will last--well as long as my car does...

You can follow Carly and her journey at Finding my Path trust me, you won't regret reading what this young woman has to say--she will encourage and inspire you!

I'm proud of ya, kiddo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...