Thursday, September 13, 2018

Dreams Do Come True...Even in the Form of a Form Letter



Dreams come true, even in the form of a form letter. All my life, I have wanted to meet the Queen of England. I know it’s a weird dream for a young American girl. Most people want to meet the President or a Hollywood star. Not me, I was a nerd, I loved British history, I could name all the kings and queens of England from William I (William the Conqueror) to Elizabeth II…and still can: 

Willie, Willie, Harry, Stee,
Harry, Dick, John, Harry three;
One, two, three Neds, Richard two
Harrys four, five, six... then who?
Edwards four, five, Dick the bad,
Harrys twain and Ned the Lad;
Mary, Bessie, James the Vain,
Charlie, Charlie, James again...
William and Mary, Anna Gloria,
Four Georges, William and Victoria;
Edward seven next, and then
George the fifth in 1910;
Ned the eighth soon abdicated
Then George the sixth was coronated;
After which Elizabeth
And that's the end until her death.

I loved learning about the American War for Independence; to me the bagpipe was the sound of heaven on earth and the Highland games were as close to Scotland as I would ever get in m life. I had a vocabulary that my friends in the UK understood, but usually got me fussed at by my parents. 

When I was 8 years old, I wrote a letter to the Queen (but never mailed it). I remember one of the lines I wrote was “I would very much like to meet you, but I know it will be God’s will if that is to happen.” As I have gotten older, the Queen has also gotten older. I mourned the death of Elizabeth the Queen’s Mother, and the Queen’s sister, Margaret, as well as Diana, the Princess of Wales.

Over the years, despite my unique likes and interests I have found many friends with the same interests. However, despite that I have always felt like a loser. When I couldn’t handle middle school due to bullies, my family homeschooled me and when I would spend days in a row at the library usually studying and reading—one employee would often ask “Doesn’t she need to be in school?” And even called the truancy officer against me. Yet I made it through High School and graduate in 1998, but when I went to college, I attended Mitchell Community College. I wasn’t good at math or writing—and ended up taking remedial classes. When I took algebra, my teacher called my mom and said “Please tell her to drop the class, she won’t pass.” When I decided to take a science class and luckily for me, my teacher would come to school early to help me understand what we were learning. Yet that didn’t fulfill me. 

I went to photography school and after I graduated digital photography took over and everything that I learned, was suddenly unemployable since I was a darkroom trained photographer. Then I chose to attend Liberty University for Christian Counseling, but that wasn’t fulfilling. Lastly, I was able to attend Liberty University Baptist Theological Seminary and one of my cousin’s said “Rachel, get a degree in something you will actually use!” And honestly that broke my heart because I wanted to be a Chaplain/Community College teacher. Still I felt like a loser. This led to years of depression and the fact that I didn't like myself because I was different. Being different is hard! However, I clung to my difference and to the promise of Psalm 37:4: Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

It didn't help that I saw my younger cousins living out their dreams and getting blessed left and right. Matter of fact, I was down right jealous! Then my friends all got married or started dating and again life was moving along and I was getting left right on in the dust! However, this year I dared to dream; and to DREAM BIG! I wrote a letter to HM The Queen of England. 

My letter read: 

Madam, 
On the occasion of your 92nd birthday, I am sending my sincere congratulations. 
Your Majesty has been an important role model in my life. I believe that your unselfish service should inspire every person in every generation to a life of service to their country as well as their universal neighbors.  As you know, the United States and the United Kingdom share a unique relationship given our mutual history.
I would like Your Majesty to know that when I felt the calling into pastoral ministry, two years ago, I went back and listened to your 21st Birthday speech. This speech served to remind me that my calling is lifelong, be this life long or short.
It has been and will continue to be my pleasure, to keep you and the rest of the royal family in my prayers knowing that as head of the Church of England, but also as the leader of the United Kingdom and her commonwealths, faith is an important part of Your Majesty’s life. 
I have the honour to remain, Madam, Your Majesty’s most humble and obedient servant.

So I sent my letter to Buckingham Palace on June 12th. I received some emails and private messages as to why I would call myself a “humble and obedient servant” of the Queen, when I am an American. Well truthfully, I am an American, but I feel that I am also a servant of the Queen. The US and England share a mutual history and interesting kinship; and honestly we never really know when we can be of service to our country, but also to our international family. 
Today, nearly 3 months letter I received the following from Balmoral Castle today, it just proves that DREAMS DO COME TRUE!


No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...