Saturday, December 1, 2018

Called, Traditionalist, and the feeling of being Blacklisted: A View


I haven’t spoken much about the current state of the United Methodist Church. As many people know the UMC is going through some major changes. The Council of Bishops has called a Special Session of the General Conference of The United Methodist Church to be held February 23-26, 2019 in St. Louis, Missouri. The purpose will be to receive and act on a report from the Commission on a Way Forward based on the recommendations of the Council of Bishops. The 32-member Commission was authorized by General Conference 2016 and appointed by the Council of Bishops to examine paragraphs in The Book of Discipline concerning human sexuality and exploring options to strengthen the unity of the church.

There are three plans that the church could decide to follow. Traditionalists value marriage between one man and one woman, and sexual activity within this relationship. Traditionalists also seek greater accountability at every level of the church. Contextualists want to translate the gospel into the varied settings in which God places us. They see this as a missiological calling, and believe that the work of the church can be adapted in a global church. Progressives value full inclusion of all persons in the life of the church, at every level, and this includes the LGBTQ community. They also believe that the church can celebrate same-gender marriages.

As many may be surprised at this discussion that the UMC is having, it has placed significant stress on Candidates, such as myself. If you know me, you know that I have a pretty traditional view of marriage. Unfortunately that puts me at odds with many people in the United Methodist Church, including many of our ministers and those we have elected to represent our conferences and even our district committees on ordained ministry (dCom). 

When my dCom was over, I spoke with my pastor and decided that it would be best to fly under the radar—in other words, just stay silent until I passed through dCom. However, as I have often said “Sometimes your best officers come from your enlisted ranks.” In other words, while it is the officers that should be doing the discussion, and showing the way, sometimes our lay speakers, candidates and students that do the speaking and leading. As a Christian, who is called to minister the gospel, it is my job to declare, “Christ born, Christ died, Christ risen from the dead and Christ coming again.” It is also my job to honor the Word of God as written by helping people understand what the Bible says as infallible. In his sermon on “The Means of Grace,” Wesley says, “The same truth (namely, that this is the great means God has ordained for conveying his manifold grace to man) is delivered, in the fullest manner that can be conceived, in the words which immediately follow: ‘All Scripture is given by inspiration of God;’ consequently, all Scripture is infallibly true; ‘and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness;’ to the end ‘that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works’ (2 Tim. 3:16, 17)” 

Unfortunately, when I am writing as I am now, and commenting on anything that is considered “traditionalist” in view of the Bible, current Book of Discipline, I am being watched. Call it paranoia, because many will, being conservative in today’s United Methodist Church isn’t popular, and I am sure that I am “blacklisted.” 

According to “Our Daily Journey” A few years ago, a prominent Christian group removed the word Christ from its organization’s name. The organization defended its name change, citing research which revealed that 20 percent of non-Christians were alienated and offended by the name of Christ. A mere 20 percent of non-christians are offended; but what happens when it is those who believe they are Christians that are ashamed, alienated and offended by the name of Christ. I know that Matthew 10:33 states but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven. Sincerely, that is what these committees are doing when they write off, or refuse to pass people due to their traditionalist/conservative views. They are denying Christ to those who need Him and His salvation.

Even though, like many others, I am seen as a traditionalist and a threat to the progressive movement within the United Methodist Church, I take comfort in Matthew 10:16-18; 22. 16 “I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. 17 Be on your guard; you will be handed over to the local councils and be flogged in the synagogues. 18 On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. 22 You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 

So while I feel hated by those who can’t understand my call; I was never called to accept the world’s view and definitely not called to fit in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...