Wednesday, February 27, 2019

#GC2019: One Day After

It is the day after our special called General Conference in the United Methodist Church. No one has asked me to write this; but I have some thoughts tonight. 

I will start by saying thank you for the calls, the texts, the emails, and the prayers--not only for me, but also for our denomination. 


Today, I have read various articles about the Traditional plan passing at the general conference. Each article has made it abundantly clear that they think the UMC is wrong, that we are bigots, that we hate the LGBTQIA+ community. That is the farthest thing from the truth. If I could tell the media one thing, it's that "Yes, we stood on our belief in the authority of Scripture; however, have you even read the One Church Plan?" If not, here is your chance. If you've not read the Traditional Plan, here's your chance


When I look at the Traditional plan, I look at it as any Methodist would--through the lens of the Wesleyan Quadrilateral: For United Methodists, Scripture is considered the primary source and standard for Christian doctrine. Tradition is experience and the witness of development and growth of the faith through the past centuries and in many nations and cultures. Experience is the individual's understanding and appropriating of the faith in the light of his or her own life. Through reason the individual Christian brings to bear on the Christian faith discerning and cogent thought. These four elements taken together bring the individual Christian to a mature and fulfilling understanding of the Christian faith and the required response of worship and service. However, no matter where we get our beliefs, they must be founded on the scriptures. 


Paul even tells us in 2 Timothy 4:3 


For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions. 


And yet, I am sure you will tell me "Well Jesus said nothing about..." Friends, I am sorry that just isn't the case. Jesus tells us in the Sermon on the Mount that He didn't come to abolish the law (The Torah), rather to fulfill. So in that one verse, He says a lot about the orthodoxy of the reformation He was bringing. 

The major media outlets are also missing the fact that even the LGBTQAI+ community will tell you, candidly of course, that "Gay men everywhere, at every age, are 2 to 10 times more likely than heterosexual men to commit suicide." In Sweden, according to Gransel and Hanson "LGBT people have four times as large a portion of attempted suicide in comparison to the rest of the population. Bisexual women have the largest portion. The banner study shows that it is bisexuals between the ages of 16-29 and transgenders of 30 years or more who have the largest portion of attempted suicide. All three surveys show that the largest portion of attempted suicides have taken place between the ages of 13-19. Notable is, both the survey and the banner study show that 6-9 % of attempted suicides took place between the ages of 4-12. The heterosexual control survey shows that no attempted suicides have taken place at such an early age." By the way, the LGBTQAI+ Community in Sweden has full-inclusion. 

The other thing that is frustrating me is that I have seen several people, evangelicals, bragging, celebrating and some made down right rude comments--myself included. So I want to take a moment more of your time; I want to apologize to you if I have said something that made you angry, or hurt. It truly isn't my intention. I also want to encourage my brothers and sisters on both sides of this debate to take a moment; to stop posting online, get on your knees in prayer and to pray. Pray for one another, yes, you conservative, pray for your progressive brethren...yes, progressive, pray for conservatives like myself. We have a long road of healing to go down. We all knew that one side or the other would be hurting today, let's take time to heal.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, this past general conference has been painful to most of us that God has called to be an active part in. We prayed "come Holy Spirit, come". God heard, and He answered us. The greatest victory that was won at General Conference is that when we prayed in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, He heard our prayers and answered them! The Holy Spirit was present, and where the Holy Spirit is present there is victory over evil! Today we continue in such prayer, praying that God will continue His good work in and among us. God, unite us in your truth and in your love. God's Word tells us that God chastens the children He loves, and so it is, right now, today. God's chastening is often painful, even as it was for Job in the Old Testament story, but when God's work is completed in us and in our lives, we find ourselves in a much greater relationship with Him and with His Children.

    Revelation 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne..........

    God's healing Word for such a time as this....

    ReplyDelete

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...