Thursday, April 4, 2019

Two Weeks by Karen Kingsbury: A Review

I have yet to read one of Karen Kingsbury’s books that I haven’t enjoyed immensely. So when the chance came to join with Karen and be a part of her street team, I knew I had to respond to that email! I received an advance copy of Karen Kingsbury’s Two Weeks.

As with all of Karen’s books, this one spoke to the reality that we call life. I think that is what makes Karen a completely unique writer. She doesn’t shy away from topics that may seem too controversial. Instead, she heads straight for the heart of the story and writes characters that are memorable, lovable and completely relatable. Whether that reality includes infertility, adoption, an unwed, pregnant, single teenage girl or the young boy who falls in love with with the girl and being willing to risk everything. It’s real, it’s raw and it shows us how we are to potentially react to that life including muddling in the mess when someone we love is going through more than we can imagine. Each part of this book had me wondering what I would do if I were in this situation.

In her book Two Weeks, Karen gives us a story about Cole, the son of Ashley Baxter Blake. Having watched Cole grow up through Karen’s books, I was terrified that his decisions in this book may ruin his life and I couldn’t imagine that. My heart was sent on an emotional rollercoaster and I cried, laughed and cried some more.

When a new girl shows up at Cole’s school, he immediately falls head over heels for her. They immediately hit it off and start hanging out together. When Elise, realizes she’s pregnant, and she shares those fears with Cole, he promises to stand by her no matter what. A virtue he learned from Landon Blake, the man he calls dad.

In this story we also meet Lucy and Aaron. They are a couple who, like my friends, struggle with infertility. This is the part of the book that was excruciatingly hard for me to read. I had watched friends of mine struggle with infertility, and I, myself have been told I would never have children. While going through infertility treatments month in and month out, Aaron stays strong in his faith and tells Lucy to do the same. When Elise starts thinking about adoption, she chooses Lucy and Aaron, but will she go though with giving the baby up for adoption? Is it the best thing for everyone? Elise has a lot of thinking to do and has been told by the lawyer that she has until two weeks after the delivery date to make up her mind.

This book is such an amazing read! Like many others, I started reading and didn’t want to put the book down. If you have never read anything by Karen, you can read this as a standalone book or as a part of the entire Baxter series. No matter how you decide to read the book, it is definitely life changing fiction!

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...