Thursday, September 24, 2020

The Cross and The Flame: A futile argument

Quotes are in italics; with links to the quotes where possible.

Recently the UMC's logo of the Cross and Flame have come under attack. 
Adopted shortly after the merger of The Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church, the symbol relates he United Methodist church to God through Christ (cross) and the Holy Spirit (flame). The flame is a reminder of Pentecost when witnesses were unified by the power of the Holy Spirit and saw "tongues, as of fire" (Acts 2:3). The two tongues of a single flame may also be understood to represent the union of two denominations. The two separate flames represent the Evangelical United Brethren Church and the Methodist Church coming together to form the United Methodist Church.

Now coming from an ancestry that is European-American, I have a hard time believing that a symbol that has withstood the test of time, and was adopted at the height of the civil rights movement has suddenly taken on a hateful meaning. In fact, I personally don't believe it has taken on that meaning at all, except by some who are foolish enough to want to lead people down a path straight to hell. Now I personally can't say what it means to be black in America. I have distant cousins who are black, I have friends who are black, and I even asked on Facebook and one friend said "Well, I wouldn't think that Methodists are cross burners."

In fact, I did a bit of digging, when I searched churches with Flames in their logos, I came up with no less than 2,170,000,000 results, when I searched churches with Crosses in their logos, I got 2, 370,000,000 and when I searched churches with flames and crosses in their logos, I had no less than 61,800,000 results.  And those are just individual churches; the PCUSA uses a cross made of flames and a dove as their official symbol, the Churches of God, use a flame surrounding the cross, and the Free Methodist also use flame symbolism in their logos. 

Similarly I don't think that this is an issue of the cross and the flame. I believe instead as one minister pointed out it is to remove the cross from Christianity. You see the cross is what is offensive to people. Think of the multitude, "And He summoned the multitude with His disciples, and to them, "If any one wishes to come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me." Mark 8:34

 In Greek the word deny is aparneomai. It is a strong word meaning that a person must refuse to be thinking about oneself.  This is a strong statement. It is a picture of complete denial of one’s desires and wishes. Lately I have spoken to several atheists, and the one thing several people have said to me is "I don't know what I believe in and frankly I don't want to be a Christian because it will mean I can't have fun." Really? Some Christians are the most fun people I know. 

Jesus said we must take up our cross. In Christ’s time everyone understood the meaning of the word cross. Flavius Josephus tells us the Roman soldiers literally crucified two thousand people on crosses on one occasion. To carry your cross meant that you were dragging it along and eventually you reached the place where the soldiers would crucify you. Therefore, Jesus’ point is that you must be so committed to denying yourself that you are willing to die for Christ. No one will truly follow Christ who continues to be more interested in himself or herself than in Christ. Jesus does not give us the option of calling Him our Savior and Lord while continuing to satisfy our own desires and wishes. We must deny ourself to the point of death in our following Him. This is the character of a true follower of Christ.

Now I know a lot of "Pastors" will say I am crazy, but it's honestly without a doubt in my mind what I feel is happening in our society and there will be a lot of other churches that need to lose their logos also...for fear of offending someone.  However, I look at the liberal church and I see all of the evil that John saw in his Revelation; however, I want to take a look at those seven churches and I want to show you the lessons that I recently read about and actually agree with

Ephesus
The lesson in the letter to Ephesus teaches that truth and love must go hand-in-hand. A church that upholds doctrinal purity at the expense of showing love is just as flawed as a church that upholds congregational harmony at the expense of truthful teachings. Instead, Jesus reveals that a church fashioned in His image must teach God’s Truth in love.

Symrna:
Like the church in Smyrna, Christians are persecuted worldwide in obvious and insidious ways. This letter warns all Christians that although we may suffer greatly, the length of tribulation will be short compared to the promise of eternal life.

Pergamum:
Like the Christians in Pergamum, it’s easy to normalize the non-Christian behavior of those around us and allow that behavior to dilute our values (1 Corinthians 15:33). But the Bible urges us to “not conform to the pattern of this world” but be transformed by the renewal of our mind in accordance with God’s Word (Romans 12:2).

Thyatira
Just as some in Thyatira’s church were led astray by a false prophet, Christians today fall prey to cult leaders, occult practices, and other false teachings. To share in Christ’s victory, we are to avoid these “so-called deep secrets” of Satan (Revelation 2:24) and hold firm to Christ’s teachings.   

Sardis:
Today, Christians can fall into the trap that ensnared the church in Sardis if we merely go through the motions of practicing our faith without really feeding our spirit. We can avoid becoming “the living dead” by engaging in our faith through Bible study, prayer, and fellowship.

Philadelphia:
The message to Philadelphia shows us the blessings that come when we maintain our faith despite life’s tribulations. In fact, those who persevere despite weaknesses will stand strong as pillars in Heaven.

Laodicia:
Like the church in Laodicea, it’s easy to become complacent in our faith during times of abundance. Christ warns us in this revelation that he will “spit out” lukewarm disciples. Instead, Jesus urges us to keep seeking the Lord’s face even after His hand has bestowed riches in our lives. 

So while we are arguing over a cross and a flame, we are becoming more and more lukewarm about the gospel, this is just a way for the enemy to distract us from exactly what he fears, loss of power. Personally, I am sick of these arguments. In fact it's due to these arguments that many of the atheists that I have come in contact with have rejected the church once I start talking with them. 

Our arguments over frivolous things have watered down the gospel. I have had people who are LGBT ask me "If my wife and I come to church, would we be welcome?" My first question is "Would you be open to the gospel? And I don't mean a watered down version of the gospel?" They look at me, and ask "What does that mean?" I tell them, "Yes, you are welcome in our church, but I can't promise you that I won't step on your toes when I speak about sexual immorality; however, what you do with that information, is completely up to you." 

Because of what the world has decided the Gospel should be, pastors are hungry prestige, that they are willing to keep the gospel watered down. People tell me that I am antagonistic, controversial, contentious, yet, I don't see any of these people actually contending for the faith in meaningful ways. 
Author Kenneth C. Haugk defines antagonists as “individuals who on the basis of nonsubstantive evidence, go out of their way to make insatiable demands, usually attacking the per­son or performance of others.” Yet much to the consternation of many, my views are backed up by substantial study, scripture and even peer reviewed articles. In fact my friends tell me that I am probably stepping on the toes of many Christians. To step on toes is to insult, or upset one, especially by getting involved in something that is one's responsibility. This was very evident last night when a member of a UMC Clergy chat told me that "to participate this in this group you have to be a member of the clergy." Well frankly, the group is public and there is no way to tell who is clergy and who isn't. What bothered the person is that I was stepping on toes and basically challenging the group. 

Again this is something that renders our gospel void to outsiders.  Last time I checked my baptism into the church renders me a minister of the gospel; not a piece of paper from the District, Conference, or any man. After all in our tradition this call is grounded in a Wesleyan understanding of servant ministry and servant leadership that affirms that all Christians are ministers by virtue of their baptism. (The Christian as Minister)

I have spent some time this week, thinking about the Musical Hamilton, I have been thinking about Aaron Burr's song "Wait for it". 

Hamilton doesn't hesitate.
He exhibits no restraint.
He takes and he takes and he takes
And he keeps winning anyway.
He changes the game.
He plays and he raises the stakes.
And if there's a reason
He seems to thrive when so few survive
Then Goddamnit I'm willing to wait for it.
I'm willing to wait for it...
I'm willing to wait for it...
Life doesn't discriminate
Between the sinners and the saints
It takes and it takes and it takes.
And we keep living anyway
We rise and we fall and we break
We fall and we make our mistakes.
And if there's a reason I'm still alive
When so many have died
Then I'm willin' to- then I'm willin' to-
Wait for it... Wait for it... Wait for it...

Right now it seems that the liberal church keeps winning, and they are changing the game, raising the stakes; and so many conservative pastors and pastoral candidates are falling behind and they aren't surviving. Like a young Hamilton, it is time for conservative churches to start speaking up against their bishops, and stop allowing for a watered down gospel...may be it's time for churches to stop being scared of the contentious, antagonistic, controversial Christian...may be it's time for them to embrace the laity who are willing to fight when so many are terrified to walk out on the front lines because they may loose their churches, because frankly, I am sick of pastors who won't speak out, I am sick of pastors who water down the gospel, because should they anger the wrong person they won't have a church next year. 

It's time to stop the fighting over logos, and start fighting for the true Gospel, it's time to FIGHT over the SOULS of the LOST! In fact, I challenge every minister that I know that lives in this area to come to town with me and pray with the lost; just spend some time walking around the downtown area and pray with the homeless, pray for those at the bar, pray for the kids who are riding skateboards, pray for the lost, pray with the member of the LGBTQIA+ community that has been rejected by church and how they change their minds when they see people who love them unconditionally. I literally have people who come back and ask me questions about my faith because I don't judge them, I just tell them, "Here's the truth of the Gospel, do with it what you will." I plant a seed and others water it and God brings the increase. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...