Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Judgmental Christians...

I am often seen as a judgmental Christian. Fine. I am judgmental. I could throw out the scripture of Matthew 7:1 Judge not, lest ye are judged." However, we are judge not so that we can judge well. 

What can't we judge? We must not judge “the hidden . . . purposes of the heart” of other Christians based on their decisions, actions, perspectives, words, or personality that concern us if those things themselves are not explicitly sinful (1 Corinthians 4:5). However, there are things we can judge. Christians must judge the explicitly sinful behavior of a professing Christian.

Jesus said a “tree is known by its fruit” (Matthew 12:33). When do the hidden sinful purposes of the heart reveal themselves? In a person’s explicitly sinful behavior. That’s why Paul didn’t even have to be present to pass judgment on a man who engaged in sexual immorality (1 Corinthians 5:3). And he explicitly instructed the Corinthian Christians to pass judgment on him too (1 Corinthians 5:12–13).

When we sin, our Christian brothers and sisters have an obligation to judge us. They must not condemn us, but they must, out of love, call us to repent. Such judgment is a grace, an expression of God’s kindness (Romans 2:4), and we only compound our sin if we take offense. If our sin is very serious and our church determines that we must be disciplined according to Matthew 18:15–17, we must keep in mind that the purpose is to pursue our redemption not damnation (1 Corinthians 5:4–5).

So last night I wrote a blog called Beyond 4 Walls. Tonight, I was chastised for posting the blog, stating I hadn't spoke to the person. I did attempt, I explained, based on earlier comments that the church was offering online services, that I felt the original poster just doesn't like the way the church is being lead. I still feel that way. He even said as much to another commenter.

But let us not judge other Christians’ hidden purposes of the heart as sinful if they disagree with us over the best course of action. We may discuss and persuade, but we may not judge. Jesus will judge. It is for him alone to bring to light what is now hidden and to commend or rebuke (1 Corinthians 4:5). Let us “with all humility and gentleness, with patience, [bear] with one another in love” (Ephesians 4:2).

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...