Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Picking your battles...2 Timothy 2:23 and Matthew 10:14-15

I often use Paltalk, a internet program that uses rooms with an "owner" to speak to people around the world. Many times these people are kind and are just out there looking for someone to talk to on any manner of topic. Usually I speak to people in the "Christian" rooms, but one thing I have noticed about the "Christian" rooms are there are few truly Christian people.

So this week I chose to just sit back and listen to how many people actually speak the gospel; how many truly speak about the Bible with Biblical truth. Well taking my Pastor's advice, I tried to decide if I speak up, or just let people sit under false teaching. I also took the advice of my friend Melinda and worked on patience. I was doing good. I sat there for about an hour, until I couldn't take it any longer. Someone asked this person if he was a Christian and he said "Nope, I don't believe in God--I just like to teach about God." Wait what? You don't believe in God, but you think suddenly you can teach about God?

I am sorry, maybe I am missing something, but I don't think there is a text book on God. I mean I used to laugh when my friend Christine used to say "Rachel, you have a degree in God!"; to me there was nothing further from the truth. I have a degree in Biblical Studies, but that is hardly a degree in God. (I really miss our conversations.)

After about 10 minutes of listening to this man expound on God, I raised the question again, "are you a Christian?" Again the man said, "No, I am an atheist." Then he went on to say "The Bible is fallible because it was written by men." That was it! I couldn't handle it. I raised my hand and said "Sir, the Bible was inspired by God's holy spirit" and before I could finish, he started interrupting what I was saying. I finally asked him, "was I respectful while you were talking?" He said "Yes, but..." before he could finish his thought I said "Then please respect me." The owner of the room said "He's welcome here." I said "I never said he wasn't, but we've been respectful; and I am asking for the same respect." The owner said "Well you need to let him speak." I felt righteous anger rising in me and I said "If you want him here, that is fine. I will leave, I can't believe people who are saying they are Christians would rather listen to the 'truth' as told by someone who doesn't even believe the Bible." And immediately I closed the room down and my heart was broken.

So while I do agree that I could do better on picking my battles, and also do better with patience, I am reminded of the verse that says "Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels." 2 Timothy 2:23.

So to remove myself from the room was my way of having nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies. However, I will encourage Christians to always stand for their beliefs, however, as Matthew 10:14-15 says "14 And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town. 15 Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town."


The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton: Standard Bible Society, 2016), 2 Ti 2:23.

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton: Standard Bible Society, 2016), Mt 10:14–15.

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...