Sunday, August 9, 2020

Don't Make a Point, Make a Difference

Everyone is seeking that next like, that next heart, that next great share. It doesn't matter if you are a writer of a blog, a musician, or even a pastor. It seems everyone is hustlin' for some kind of attention. Maybe they are writing the next great book, maybe they are posting on Facebook, Twitter. At times, it's okay to seek attention, but when the attention that you seek becomes all you seek that is when things turn ugly. 

A few weeks back, I was invited to a Facebook group. I joined the group, and boy were they attention seeking. If you posted what they liked you were gold. However, they are all about themselves, they are all about talking and making points, and not making a difference. Jeremiah 17:9 says The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?

The only thing I can think of when I listen to these people talk about themselves is that they have zero humility. And should focus on: 

Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 2:3-5).

In our increasingly online-world, there is an overabundance of point-makers and an alarming deficit of difference-makers. We should talk less and listen more. One of my favorite lines from the musical Hamilton is when Aaron Burr tells Alexander Hamilton, "Talk Less, Smile More." In other words, talk less, and listen to people. 

We also need to stop critiquing people and start affirming them. In m life I had a lot of people criticize me and affirm what I believe in. Currently I am standing up for the Statesville Confederate Monument. When I have told my family about it, they don't ask questions, they just tell me what they think. When I try to tell them how I feel "It doesn't matter." In fact, they have been known to tell me "I don't want to hear about it." Instead of "I may not agree with you, but this is important so tell me why you believe what you do." 

There is a story in an article by Relevant Magazine, it tells to stop over thinking things. If you sense that God is asking you to take action in a particular situation, take action within 10 seconds. This has been a great challenge but an even greater help as I attempt to make fewer points and make more of a difference.

However, honestly we need to be more like Jesus, there is a story in the scripture where Jesus healed the sight of two blind men, and then told them not to tell anyone (Matthew 9:9). Why would he do that? Jesus wasn’t seeking attention, He simply wanted to make an impact in these needy lives. Jesus never performed mass healings, and He did everything He could to make sure He became known for having an intimate touch on people’s lives.

Maybe that's what we should be doing; stop seeking the attention of man and start pointing people to Christ.  Stop trying to make a point and start making a difference.

He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...