Sunday, March 25, 2012

Rachel tells nutshell family history...

I can't say when exactly my fascination with genealogy started...but I think I was fairly young. My mom often talked about being related to Tom Dula (of Ballad fame). My dad wasn't sure about his family except that his grandfather told him we were Dutch Irish.

No one knew how we were related the Tom Dula, but at the age of 15, I was determined I was finding out...this lead me on a fifteen year journey. When I was 30 I found out exactly how I was related to Tom Dula. I also found out that my dad wasn't "Dutch" at all, rather he was Deutsch (German); but because of the southern accent and mountain twang, my great-grandfather thought Deutsch, meant Dutch.

I found out many things, and one family member gave me lots of trouble...Ellen de Vere. I'd later contact a woman who would tell me that the de Vere's were related to the 13th King of Judah, Jo[a]tham. Making my dad's family descendants of the Tribe of Judah. I wish I could prove this, but I can't, I have to take it on faith--and some really good history books.

So now you know the basics of my family and my roots...

COMING SOON: Rachel talks about her Christian upbringing and how her life changed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...