Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Candidacy Process Update!


I have decided it is time to give everyone an update on the Candidacy Process. Some pretty big things have happened since November when I went to my retreat!

On December 5th I went to Duke Divinity School to visit and speak with Rev. Thie about a possible scholarship; I was invited back on February 5th for interviews with 5 District Superintendents and I think those interviews went really well. I have also been invited back to Duke next week to find out if they are going to pursue me for the Thriving Rural Communities program. The Thriving Rural Communities Initiative works to foster thriving rural North Carolina communities by cultivating faithful rural Christian leadership and fruitful rural United Methodist congregations. Thriving Rural Communities is a partnership of Duke Divinity School, The Duke Endowment, the North Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church, and the Western North Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church. It also is a part of Leadership Education at Duke Divinity. In these matters, I would love continued prayer.

In January, I met with my Pastor/Parish Relations Committee and we discussed my calling and their role in helping me discern my calling to ministry. After hearing from me, I left the meeting and was called that night to say that the PPR Committee did vote to send me to the Charge Conference. If you are reading this and aren’t Methodist (or even if you are Methodist) you may not have a clear understanding of what a “Charge Conference” is. Basically put, the Charge is the basic governing body of each United Methodist local church and is composed of all members of the church council.

Charge Conference at Clarksbury UMC
Last night, February 12, 2018 I meet with my church’s charge conference and the representatives of the various church committees as well as any members who wanted to come out that were “non-voting attendees.” So maybe you are asking yourself “what part does the charge council play in your calling?” The charge conference directs the work of the church and gives general oversight to the church council, reviews and evaluates the mission and ministry of the church, sets salaries for the pastor and staff, elects the members of the church council, and recommends candidates for ordained ministry. After hearing my call story, hearing my answers to the “Historic Questions” that John Wesley wrote and asked ministers in 1746, the charge conference unanimously voted to send me to the District Committee on Ordination.

As I head farther into this calling and continue to lean into and live it out, I am hoping that you all will continue to pray for me. Not only me, but also pray for the lives I will be touching with my ministry. Pray that God will send people my way that will need to hear the gospel message and that through me a difference will be made in the lives of others.

I will continue to update you all through this process and of course, as I will also continue to write my short devotions or lessons here and I hope that you will continue to enjoy reading them.

Peace and Grace unto you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...