Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Open Response to Richard Lowell Bryant--Yes, Liberty students should be camp counselors...

My pastor sent me a link to an article written by a UMC minister about camp counselors coming from Liberty to teach at a UMC Summer Camp and the pastor, of course, is angry because of Jerry Falwell's stance on Homosexuality and other things. This same pastor (not mine) states that in another post he's a traditionalist and should keep the language of the Book of Discipline as it is where it pertains to marriage and the ordination of homosexuals. The more I thought about that article the angrier I got. I'll be honest when I read it this morning, I told my pastor, I don't know if I should pray for him, or write him a letter. (I really just wanted to go through the screen and give him a piece of my mind).

So in true Liberty University "Trained Champion for Christ" fashion, I wrote him a comment and spoke about Liberty. I mean after all, as a graduate of Liberty and as a candidate for ministry, I think I can speak to the mindset of some graduates of Liberty. So I formed the following response. Since comments on the original post are moderated, we'll have to see later if it shows up, but in the mean time for your pleasure, my response!

Sir,

There are far worse things than hiring Camp Counselors from Liberty University. Maybe you missed the article put out by one of the many gay students from LU who found love and acceptance at Liberty University. Matter of fact, his professors begged him not to quit school, but he chose to quit attending LU and then came back to the school and graduated from Liberty.

What you may not know is that LU has one of the largest LGBTQA+ communities of any college, not because they want to shake up the school, but because they are accepted as they are, where they are in their walk with Christ.  Even I attended LU as a practicing member of a Jewish Synagogue and found acceptance for my beliefs. Yes, Jerry Falwell, Jr. is outspoken on BIBLICAL standards, which supercede the BOOK OF DISCIPLINE (believe it or not). Deal with it. Embrace students from Liberty, actually get to know them, find out what their exact beliefs are. Oh, and maybe read these two articles. https://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/04/being-gay-at-jerry-falwells-university/274578/ and http://wset.com/archive/coming-out-at-liberty-university-the-story-of-one-gay-lu-grad 

Then maybe, just maybe you can judge Liberty University, the staff and those counselors you refuse to get to know or give a chance to. I find it funny that just in May of 2017 you said "You were a traditionalist." in a post here, and today, you are a progressive. .Do forgive me, Reverend, but can you really have it both ways? Can you really throw away our traditional teachings and embrace hatred? I wonder, often what John Wesley would think if he saw the current standing of our church and I wonder, sir, if he would not give those students/counselors from LU a chance to continue to grow.

For the rest of you who, like this gentleman, who have no understanding of what LU actually teaches, I will tell you it is FAR from Jerry Falwell, Jr.'s current standing. As a matter of fact, I came out of LU (twice) with more parched with thirst for the God I now serve, believe it or not with more understanding of amy homosexual friends, and more acceptance towards their choices. I know you may all think that this crazy that they use counselors from LU, but honestly, you won't find what you think you will--closed-minded people.

The centrist movement in the UMC wants to cry out for tolerance, yet you won't even allow for students from Liberty to come and grow in their faith. Everyone wants to be a liberal or centrist until their feet are stepped on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...