Wednesday, March 28, 2018

***Kregel Academic Book Review: Interpreting the Wisdom Books***


Kregel Academic does it again! I had previously read the volume Interpreting Apocalyptic Literature and was amazed by the depth of knowledge of the writers! So when Kregel asked me to review the exegetical book “Interpreting the Wisdom Books” I couldn’t say no! So lots of people have written section by section what they like about the book or what each section covers; so I won’t waste your time doing that; instead I am going to hit some highlights of what made this book stand out to me, as both a scholar and as a future pastor.

For me, a lot of the time, I forget to look at the big picture of a book or the theme of the book I am reading. Section 2 for me was the beginning of the main course, if you will. I had just finished learning about “What Wisdom is” and how Poetry played a part in that; but the real meal began for me when we started talking about themes, then delving into them a bit deeper. This series of books does not just scratch the surface of the Bible, while written as a text book, and not particularly thick, the books still take time to really bite into the meat and to give you enough of a grasp that you can continue to tear pieces out of the book you are studying and gain a greater understanding of the Bible.

As a minister of the Gospel, sometimes I, like many of my fellow ministers, shy away from the Song of Solomon. As a book that is written as a love poem between two people, it’s hard to pick out themes in the book which may relate to our society. However, this book made the SOS easier to use it to proclaim God’s love; especially since the Song of Solomon is a highly relational book—geared more towards relationships between men and women. So for me, as a single woman, this book made SOS a bit friendlier, useful and has given me some courage towards being able to quote this book without wondering if the quote I am choosing is truly relational, and how it is relational towards people.

Finally, I really like how each of these books as a series, and this one is no different, gives you the tools to prepare for interpretation, also guidance on how to interpret and finally to proclaim the wisdom these books give us. A lot of people don’t have the opportunity or desire to sit through hours, weeks, or months of Hebrew/Greek classes—So while these books are text books, they are also very friendly towards lay-speakers and armchair theologians.

Would I recommend this to my friends who have never read the Wisdom books for learning exegesis? Yes! The book is easy to read, it’s written to both lay members, scholars and ordained ministers alike. I don’t think the language of the book is lacking anywhere, all points are concise and given proper space for the type of book this is. Out of 5 stars, I would give this book a solid 4; it wasn’t a boring text book and I do recommend this book to anyone wishing to learn more about interpreting the wisdom books.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...