Sunday, August 5, 2018

The Pastoral Handbook of Mental Illness


I don’t talk much about having a mental illness because I don’t like for people to think I am broken. When I was called to ministry, I was saddened that I was going to be put through a gambit of psychological batteries. I understood why, but being that I had been inaccurately diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, I was troubled that I wouldn’t be able to become a pastor. 

While what I actually have is dysthymia disorder (low grade, chronic depression); I decided to take a look at this book. The reason I did is because while in college, I took a bachelor in psychology in christian counseling. Every class we took was taught from a secular book, with supplemental information, produced by Christian authors and practitioners. When this book came up for review, I knew I had to review it. 

Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised by this book. 

  1. Ease of Text, many pastors who enter seminary take 1 or two classes on pastoral care, so they aren’t trained to see the indication of a problem. This book, allows you to understand some of the criteria that is needed to get a somewhat accurate diagnosis for the disorder. 
  2. This book is needed because I have seen too many licensed christian counselors continue to talk about mental disorders as a spiritual and sometimes even demonic issue. This messes with people, it makes them feel as if they can help their issue, or that if “They just tried a bit harder…then maybe God would heal them.” Instead of actually looking at the root of the issue. 
  3. This book can be used by Pastors and Laity alike. This book isn’t a hard read, matter of fact, it’s a book that I think will benefit the entire church, not just our pastors and pastoral counselors. 
If utilized in both seminaries and Christian counseling programs, I think this book will make the “Christian” counselor understand that not everything is spiritual matter. Sometimes, you can’t pray the sadness away or the anger away. But more than that, it gives our pastors a tool, a much needed tool to be able to confidently help someone who needs to be seen by a medical professional. 

This book was provided to me for free by the publisher for an honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...