Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Be the Blessing


Proverbs 11:25 Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered. 

Before the trip to Kenya, my mom told me "Rachel, I am praying that you meet someone in Kenya that you make a connection with." I didn't really understand what she meant, except that she wanted the trip to be worthwhile and that I would make at least one friend. I don't think she knew that I would be leaving behind people that I now call my Kenyan family. That when I see them online my heart smiles and becomes so full that tears freely flow because I love them.

Everyone says there is something special about mission trips. Whether it's building an orphanage or just talking with the people. For me, the best part of going to Nairobi, was going house to house in Huruma to meet members of the community. Some people just wanted the honor of having mzungus (white people) in their homes, other's genuinely wanted us to visit with them for us to pray with them.

"Watch your head, Rachel!"
Pastor Davies told us that we were going to the home of one of his members. At first, I was anxious because I was a stranger in a strange country. I also don't fit through the doors in Kenya very well. I can't tell you the times that someone would turn to me and say "Rachel! Watch your head!" Being nearly 6 ft tall in Kenya is just about the only thing that didn't agree with me!

So we entered a building, I started not to enter, then my friend Francis said "Rachel, I want a picture of you walking through a door." So I walked through a door, and I heard voices of thankful people that mzungas had come to their home. I walked up the stairs, nervous because I was arriving late to the party. We entered into George and Catherine's home. Catherine was making Samosas (and no, I don't mean the girl scout cookies). I stepped into the house, Catherine was rolling out the pastry used to make samosas and George was sitting in the corner of the room with a huge smile on his face! They both told us that they were honored we came to visit them. However, I was honored that they welcomed me into their home. Not as a stranger though I was, but rather as a beloved friend. 

Upon learning that George was limited in his work due to an infection in his leg, and that his son Davis was ill, I knew immediately that I needed to do whatever I could to help this family. What I didn't tell a lot of people is that my friend Jessica's son Edwin told me to bring him something home from Kenya. However, as many know Edwin passed away in May and I couldn't think of any thing Jessica would want sitting in her house from Africa. Instead I took the money I was going to use for a gift for Edwin and gave it to George and Catherine. When Carly and Grace found out what I was going to do, they donated shillings as well. 

Speaking to George and Catherine
On Sunday, Pastor Davies called me to the front of the church to address George and Catherine. I recounted to the church how they had invited us into their home. How Catherine had taught the team to make Samosas and how she and George told us that they were honored we came to visit. I also told them "On behalf of the team, I want to tell you, that when we came to Kenya, I wasn't sure what God had in store. We came as visitors and we are here today among you all in the church as family. I reminded Catherine of her words stating she was honored that we visited her, but also told her that while it honored you, for us [the team] it was a greater honor, because we were welcomed with open arms." I handed the mic back to Pastor Davies and walked over to George and Catherine and handed them some shillings. It wasn't much, but I know that the money would be put to better use than if I had held on to it.

There are lessons all over the trip to Kenya--and stories galore and I can't wait to share them all! When I say "Mimi ni rafiki yako milele." I mean it from the bottom of my heart--it was the last thing I told my friends when they dropped me off at the airport...but it really should have been Utakuwa baraka yangu milele (You will be my blessing forever) because the people of Nairobi have blessed me more than they can ever know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...