Thursday, November 28, 2019

Thanksgiving 2019

November 28, 2019...

I don't typically write a sentimental Thanksgiving post...I normally write from a historic perspective of being happy that my family came to America, that they had interesting lives in Europe and still packed up lives and came here. Today, however, while I am grateful for my ancestors and their lives in Europe and their leaving to come to the colonies to help build a country that we know as the United States, I have decided to write what I am thankful for in 2019.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name! For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations. Psalm 100:4-5
On October 5, 2019, my mom stood in front of my entire family and thanked God for me. She told of how I was born, and all the things that I have learned. My favorite descriptor that my mom used for me was "Rachel is a grabber!" To grab is defined as "to seize something." I guess you could say that since I saw Dead Poet's Society I have decided to live my life by the saying Carpe Diem--a lesson that came at a young age.

2019 saw a lot of change in my life. A decision to wait and see if the UMC split so I could continue with my candidacy; the decision to become a local lay speaker; a change of job, travels to a new country. And while many of these changes aren't life changing to some, they are definitely changing to me.

The first was a hard decisions because he makes people wonder if I am cut out to be a pastor at all. The decision came because I am middle of the road on church politics, I know what I believe, but I can't get deeply into politics. The second decision to train as a local lay speaker was a decision to show just how called I actually am to ministry. These are decisions that I am thankful for because I no longer feel pressure to become and just wait.

My other decision was to take a different job. This job has provided me income that I would never have seen had I stayed where I was and I would have potentially lost my job, since the department where I worked closed. I am thankful that I left before the closing of the department.

My decision to travel, was as a missionary to Kenya. It was one of the best decisions I have made. I was able to minister to children, Muslims, widows, and many others. I was welcomed into homes, just because I was white, I greeted people who had never seen a white person before. I cried as I walked to a waiting plane in Kenya to fly home.

There was much more to be thankful for and I am sure that you all have things to be thankful for also. Every decision we make, good or bad is a decision that we should be thankful for--and we should certainly seize the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...