Thursday, April 30, 2020

Following Jesus Christ: The New Testament Message of Discipleship for Today

As many here know, I write book reviews every so often. I recently was asked to review a book for Kregel Publications, and I ordered the book back in January and not sure what happened, but it arrived 2 weeks ago. That being said, I have look forward to reviewing this book.

Following Jesus Christ: The New Testament Message of Discipleship for Today really touches some under explored scriptures in part one on what the Bible actually says about discipleship. The book comes in at right at 350 pages, or 20 chapters that have been edited by John Goodrich and Mark Strauss.

The first part of the book is around 17 chapters look, each chapter explores a book in the new testament and what that book(s) say about discipleship. It is definitely a huge undertaking which is why the book is so important for Christians and ministry leadership. Once I started reading, I found the book hard to put down.

Discipleship and discipling are such strong words in Christian-ese that I think we lose sight as to what they meant to early Christians and the early church. In it's exploration of the scriptures this book does a great job at giving us a foundational understanding as to what discipleship and discipling means.

The last three chapters of the book look at discipling in the modern church. This section should have been longer, I felt like it was rushed. If it couldn't have been longer, then it should have been left out of the book all together.

Overall, I feel this book is a great addition to any church's professional library. While written very much in a text book style, it is a book that is both engaging and well thought out.

**I received this book from Kregel publishing for an honest review. It will appear here as well as Christian Book Distributers.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...