Wednesday, May 6, 2020

The Praying Life


Recently I spent the Lenten season in prayer. I spent each of the 40 days praying through 1 Corinthians 13 and other scriptures to find out what God was saying just to me. Then I blogged them so that I could remember the journey I had with God--but also so that I could share them with my online family.

What I really learned through Lectio Divina was how to listen to what God was saying to me. Not what the pastor said God was saying; not what my friends said God was saying; what God, Himself was saying. By studying 1 Corinthians 13 and really listening to what God was saying, I became a more loving person.

I look back and my mom asked me "Why don't you get angry at C? I mean here is what they did to you...my child! I hate them!" I looked at her and said "Love doesn't keep a record of wrongs." I had heard that my entire life, but it wasn't until I started to really study what God's word said that I realized that "yes, that person hurt me. I have a right to be angry. I don't have a right to harbor un-forgiveness." because love doesn't keep a record of wrongs.

However, what I took from this experience is that while Bible study is great; and church is amazing, I am looking forward to spending this next year exploring prayer.

Earlier this week, a friend of mine from Belmont Abbey (A Benedictine Monastery) gifted me with two prayer cards of two of my favorite Saints. St. Christopher and St. Pope John Paul II. He also sent me a St. Benedict Rosary.

I already have a few ideas. I plan on exploring the Benedictine idea of prayer. I plan on praying the Catholic Rosary; spending time with the Anglican Rosary; as well as the daily office from the 1663 Book of Common Prayer and the Christian Community in Northumbria, England.

I plan on posting here my regular articles as they come up, but if you want to follow my prayer journey and teaching, please join me at The Praying Life. I'll also set up a contact card where you can send in your prayer requests.

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...