Sunday, February 27, 2022

God doesn't give a Spirit of Fear

Most weekends I spend time with my parents, usually it's a Sunday afternoon. We visit and we chat or do chores around the house. Today was no different. I spent time with my mother, then went to the grocery store, came home washed some dishes and sat down to do online work. I turned on my TV to have it playing in the background and the BBC World Service broke their regularly scheduled program to bring the breaking news that Vladamir Putin had put Nuclear Force Teams on high alert. 

I called my parents immediately and said to my mom who answered "We need to stop everything and pray. Putin has put nuclear weapons on high alert and he's blaming the sanctions from the west." So I asked my dad "Do you think he would use them?" My dad said "I...I don't know. He has weapons that can reach the US." 

Friends, I won't lie, we are living in a scary time. I finally told my parents tonight, "I have been a nervous wreck since this entire war started." War is scary. People make jokes, "get yourself a Gen X friend." Our former President is calling our "leaders dumb" while praising and stroking the ego of the very man that is attacking our allies. Our leaders aren't dumb, they are trying to keep us out of a war that could have very dire consequences for the US. 

So am I scared? Heck yeah! Yet, I have found that my faith is also feeling stronger, when I start to feel nervous with everything that is going on, I think of 2 Timothy 1:7 (ESV) for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.

Isn't that amazing? God has given us a spirit not of fear! And I am as 2 Timothy 1:12b says I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me. God is going to guard us until the day that He has entrusted for us. 

This understanding that nothing is going to happen without 1) God ordaining it, and 2) God knowing the outcome brings with it so much peace. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...