Sunday, July 29, 2012

Literary Focus of the Olympics!


The focus of the London Opening Ceremonies was not about out doing Beijing, it wasn’t about Satan, religion or boundaries that separate us. No, the London Opening Ceremonies was about the contributions to society that have been made via the British people. 
I am proud of my English heritage, though many times it looks like I am a bit more proud of my Irish and Scottish ancestry. I am proud that members of this great country have made contributions that I as an avid reader have benefited from. If not for the British, I wouldn’t have adversaries like Lord Voldemort, the Queen of Hearts (Alice in Wonderland), Captain Hook, etc. I wouldn’t have had much childhood happiness beyond learning about the Royal family. 
So when I witness people putting on Facebook that the moment when Lord Voldemort shows up during the opening ceremony was “Devilment”; I get a bit ticked. I don’t see it that way, I saw it for what it was, a celebration of the “contributions of the British to the Literary world.” Books like Harry Potter made reading “cool” again amongst children. Think about that the next time you think VOLDEMORT is Satan and all you can do is complain that your children won’t read...maybe they just need some British encouragement!

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...