Monday, January 16, 2017

Life in the Family of God: Living the One Another Scriptures Part 1

We as Christians often times treat others better than we treat our fellow Christians; and sometimes we treat Christians better than we treat unbelievers. However, the one thing that I think we do is apply the “one another” scriptures to the outside world and we often times forget that they are also directed, if not more so towards life within the family of God.

Tonight as I was reading over my scriptures, I got to thinking about what it meant to be a part of God’s family. Certainly the body states that there are many parts to the body and we have different jobs; recently I had a young woman tell me, I don’t like Messianic Jewish people because they separate themselves from Christians. The truth is they do not separate themselves from Christians, if anything Gentile Christians separate themselves from the Messianic Jews or Jews who believe Jesus is the Messiah.

This brings me to my first point, Mark 9:50 states “Salt is good, but if the salt has lost its saltiness, how will you make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another.” But what does this mean to the family of God?

I don’t know about you, but I love salt! Salt makes food taste wonderful, however, how does food taste with there isn’t salt? Pretty bland correct? And too often it’s hard to re-salt something once it’s cooked. Then there are times when things are too salty. You can’t eat it no matter how much water you have on the table. When we say a person is salty it means they are disagreeable. Then Mark goes on to tell us to “be at peace with one another.” What do you think that really means? I believe that perhaps it means that we as Christians should be happy with one another; we don’t have to disagree all the time and start mini wars with each other. Instead, maybe, we can just agree to disagree about things. Either way, we are called to be at peace with one another.

Next, I looked at John 6:43 Jesus answered them, “Do not grumble among yourselves.
Basically here Jesus is telling us, there are many places you could be in my family. However, be content with where you are. In the Bible “Grumble” is akin to the word complain. Jesus doesn’t want us to complain about our lot in life. Yes, the grass is greener in someone else’s pasture; but the manure is the same. Don’t complain because your time is coming when you will be used mightily. It may not be tomorrow, but what if when you die, someone walks over to you and says “remember the time…” you will know it will be well worth it.

Finally, Romans 12:6 “Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith.” I love this because as I have said previously, in the family of God there are different gifts and different talents and God expects us to use them. If you are a hand, maybe God is asking you to take the hand of the stranger beside you. Or if you are a foot, maybe you are supposed to be walking. We are Christ’s body, so why aren’t we doing some walking and talking to our fellow Christians? Romans 15:5 May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus. Just as our fleshly bodies work together, the body of Christ is to work in Harmony with one another. We can’t do Christ’s work if we aren’t living fully in the family of God.

Today I want to encourage you to read over these scriptures, think about what God has called you to do and where He would send you?

Next week, we’ll look at:
Romans 15:7
1 Corinthians 11:33

Galatians 5:15

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...