Sunday, January 8, 2017

Stranded: 4Hours on I-77 in Winter-storm Helena

Just about everyone I know has seen my status on Facebook about being stuck on  I-77 South bound for 5 hours on Friday Night/Saturday Morning. However, in case you missed the saga, let me just replay it for you!

I went into work at 1:30 PM at Lowe's. I went on my first break and it had started snowing, just some light flurries, so I didn't think much of it. My second break came and went, as did my dinner and it still seemed fine. So I decided to stay the rest of the evening at work. No big deal I told myself. I had been a journalist, I knew how to drive in the snow and everyone kept getting updates from family saying the roads were fine.

1:58 a.m. traffic stopped 
12 a.m. came and I got off work, walked to my car, the parking lot was covered, but that was to be expected, there were only a few cars in the lot. I pull out to Hwy. 421 and it was covered, and covered deep! I thought "Great! Just drive slow and you'll be fine!" The drive that normally takes me 15 minutes took me 45 minutes. I get on I-77 South and away I go. Knowing there was a truck on the interstate that had jack-knifed I drove pretty slow, I went around a couple of semi-trucks that were parked watching other trucks get pulled out of ditches, I nearly ran over a truck driver who dressed in black ran out in front of me, but luckily I saw him in time to miss him. Then I came upon it! 1:58 am. A line of traffic that stretched for as far as I my eyes could see. Okay, so maybe it was 1000 yards, but still it was a far piece. As I sat in the road, hoping that the traffic would suddenly start moving several people in 4x4 trucks came up behind me pretty fast, when they couldn't get through I knew something was up. I sat in my car and as my engine started to stall, I turned off my lights, and my car. I covered up immediately in a blanket and laid my head over on my window and dozed off and on for a few minutes. I called my mom and told her "I am stuck in traffic...I'll call back later." By 3a.m. I was freaking out. My anxiety was sending me into attacks and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why? At 6:15 a.m., a trooper came by tapping windows waking people up; we were free to go, the truck had been moved and was on his way. By 7:06 a.m. I was walking into my parents house.
5:45 Blue Lights and Crews
working to get truck moved

I know you are asking "So what is the big deal, Rachel? You were stranded for five hours...no big deal." You are right, it wasn't a big deal--but it gave me time to think and time to pray. When I was talking to my parents, I was thinking "Man! I wish I had taken that last exit and just came down the road; yeah, it would be bad, but at least I would be home by now." Then I would think "something far worse could have happened to me had I taken a country road home." I think it is funny the things that God uses to bring us back to Him.

While I was in my car, once I got my anxiety in check, I was able to think about my life, where I am currently--reconsidering seminary, my job, where I want to be in five years, etc.  I also thought about this blog; what my readers would like to read more of, definitely stuff that is more inspirational and that my friends is what I want to do. I want to give you all more to read that is inspirational!

So let me ask you? Where does God have you stranded? Maybe you aren't physically stranded on an interstate, but what place are you at thinking that you can't move and you aren't taking time to look at it? Has God created a place that you've been worked into that you can't leave? Maybe it's the snow day at your house, and you can't leave, are you taking some time for devotions or worship?

It's a new year, we have new chances to become who we are supposed to be, new choices to make, are you going to make choices that bring you out of your comfort zone or are you going to stay stranded? Take your stranded moments, and see what or where God takes you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...