Saturday, October 7, 2017

Book Review Kregel Publishers

Having the understanding that God’s sense of justice often invades my humanity and my sense of justice; I looked forward to reading this book. Going beyond the 70x7 mentality, this book was an amazing exploration of Justice and its relationship with Forgiveness within a Christian worldview.
Maier does a great job of keeping up with currently psychological research concerning the benefits and dangers of forgiveness from a biblical worldview. Second, Maier does well to include ample discussion around the imprecatory Psalms and provides clear examples of how such can function as hope for the hurting in the midst of the healing process—ultimately pointing to the justice of God as the means of sanctuary. Third, Maier is extremely clear and accessible. Forgiveness and Justice was a captivating read, and it’s far outside my normal area of interest. That said it was also extremely informative and practical. I could easily see this work being formative for those in the field of counseling or pastoral ministry. It was very helpful and I identify as neither.
One of the short comings of the book in my opinion is the usage of “counselor jargon” vs. “Pastoral Care” language. This doesn’t mean that the book can’t be read by pastors, but it is definitely a book that is more counselor friendly than Pastor friendly.
The thing I enjoyed most about the book is the questions it posed about forgiveness and learning to understand people.
I will definitely be using this in my ministry in the years to come and do recommend it to counselors who want more biblical resources in their offices to teach with.


Disclaimer: The book was received for free from Kregel Ministry books in exchange for an unbiased opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

That One Word

Years ago, when I attended The Cove, my life group chose to do the "ONE WORD CHALLENGE." that was also the year I chose "Trus...